Saturday, July 4, 2015

Mechanime: Final thoughts on Nobunaga the Fool (light spoilers)

I still believe that this anime must be seen.
So I finally got around to finishing Nobunaga the Fool, and I have to say, the last few episodes of the anime really impressed me.

Watching this anime in chunks has allowed me to better appreciate the shifts in tone the story goes through. While never terribly lighthearted, the series does start out much lighter than when it ends. The last few episodes in particular got really dark really fast. This usually happened when I watched the last episodes:

Me: Well at least things can’t get any worse.
Show: (goes even further south)
Me: Well crap…

This isn’t a bad things though. Nobunaga the Fool handles its tone very well. Things gradually descend into chaos (except for the last episodes, were things go south at supersonic speeds), and nothing feels like it’s totally out of left field. The tone always feels appropriate, which is one of the greatest parts of Nobunaga the Fool, and part of the reason I like it so much.

The last few episodes also highlighted the main theme of the anime: a clash of ideals and ideologies. Is it worth living a life without death, even if that means a lack of passion or motivation? Is free will worth the suffering that comes with it? While I previously commented on how one-sided the whole East vs West thing is (the Westerners are clearly the bad guys, I have to give them credit for trying, and for the most part succeeding at, to present to different views on life and suffering.

In the end, Nobunaga the Fool remains my favorite mecha anime thus far, and I found its conclusion very satisfying.


This frees up space for Eureka Seven. To the skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment